Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tripe - A Unique Experience

Okay. I am going to have to research this one more carefully. I blindly picked up and cooked some Tripe from the Neighborhood Market in Rogers. First mistake was I did not read up on this before purchasing. Did you know that Tripe can come from 3 different areas of the cow. Honeycomb is considered the best by some and smooth is considered best by others. Pocket tripe - don't know much about. What I got, I think, was smooth tripe.

Second mistake, I did not research on how long or how to properly prepare the Tripe before cooking - the package said it was Scalded Tripe. I really need to figure this part out to avoid the following.

Upon opening the package, you could discern a hint of cow, which was not as bad as the fresh Sweetbreads I have tried. But, upon cooking, the hint of cow never went away. Do not know if Mistake #2 if corrected would fix this problem.

Tripe is supposed to be tasteless, picking up the flavors of what it is cooked in. What you want is the textural chewy bite that the tripe has when tender.

Will do more research and try this again after a while - hopefully with better results.

I think this is the first entree I have ever made that did not make it past the first taste - it went into the compost. But, at least part of it went to the dogs and they like the taste of cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment